Monday, June 29, 2009

Update from HOME

Follow up message
Trey is home and doing well! They discharged him on Saturday. He goes for
his 4 month checkup on Thursday (he missed it being in the hospital) we will
get an accurate weight on him then and let you know. He has also started
smiling!!! This is a blessing because iy is a small sign of some positive
development. Please keep his development in your prayers. Thanks again.

Friday, June 26, 2009

Possible Discharge

If all goes well tonight Trey will be coming home tomorrow! He is tolerating all his feeds well and he is back down to his baseline on his oxygen requirments. Thank your for all your prayers for our family through this extended stay and surgery at the hospital this time.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

post surgery update

Trey is improving greatly with his oxygen requirement. However last night he had a few spells where he stopped breathing for up to three minutes. They had to get emergency personnel from the critical care unit to get him to start breathing again. They are not sure why this happened but we haven't given him any morphine since and it hasn't happened again. The only problem with that is that he only has Tylenol for the pain so he's pretty uncomfortable. They are slowly starting to feed him again. He is up to 10 ml of pedialyte every three hours. If he continues to tolerate his feeds well they will slowly increase back to 60ml and then back to breast milk.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

OFF the ventilator!

Trey is off the ventilator as of this morning. He is still on 1 1/2 liters of oxygen. He has times when he has to work hard to breath. Last night he had bouts of bradycardia (slow heart rate). Depending on room availability, he may or may not still be in the ICU tonight.

Thank you so much for your continued care & concern & more importantly for your prayers.

Monday, June 22, 2009


Just talked to James - Trey is out of surgery. The surgery itself went well - there were a few "bumps". BUMP #1 - They tried for an hour to get an epidural in (to control the pain after surgery) and were unable to accomplish that. The downside of that is they will have to use narcotics to control pain which will prolong the recovery time. BUMP #2 - It was not laproscopic, they had to make an incision on his chest. BUMP #3 - Trey is still on the ventilator. James & Naomi were hoping that he would be able to come off it following surgery, but for now he has to stay on it. The downside of the ventilator is that the longer he is on it - it could damage his lungs.

For now, Trey is in the Pediatric Cardiac ICU & they will re-evaluate him tomorrow to see if he can come off the vent.

James & Naomi have not yet been able to see him, but as soon as they get the X-Rays taken & get Trey settled in, they will be allowed in.

Please be in prayer that Trey will be able to come off the vent ASAP.

Praising the Lord for His protection!


2:00 pm - Trey is getting taken back for surgery. Please be in prayer for wisdom for the doctors, Trey to handle & recover from surgery, & for James & Naomi.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Possible Surgery Monday

They were not able to get Trey in for surgery Friday so they will try again on Monday. Thank you for your prayers. I apologize for the late report.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hospital Stay #4 Day #10 - POSSIBLE SURGERY TOMORROW

Trey has come down on his oxygen some and they feel he is stable enough for surgery. If they have an opening tomorrow they are going to try to get him in, if not they will do it Monday. They took another x ray today and found a partial collapse in his upper right lung. They are not overly concerned unless he begins to get worse. They will re-evaluate in the morning to make sure he is still stable enough for surgery. We can't give the time of the surgery because they don't known yet, but it is approx. a 3 to 4 hour surgery and you can bet mom will be very nervous so keep her in your prayers. Our biggest concern with the surgery now is how he will react to the anesthesia and how his lungs will rebound after he comes off the ventilator. We will update after the surgery. Thank you for your prayers!!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hospital Stay #4 Day #8

Trey has slightly improved. His oxygen support is now .75 they want him down to .25 to do the surgery. It's still possible that it may happen this week but not very likely. He has lost some weight since he has been here. This is a concern because he was gaining so good before, so please keep that in your prayers. The good but confusing news is the doctors say his lungs sound better than they ever have. Please pray for wisdom for the doctors to know for sure what the problem is.

Sunday, June 14, 2009


Trey is pretty much the same as he was since the last update. His oxygen support is at 1.25 liters, he is still on steroids and they are just waiting for him to get well enough to have the surgery. Their goal is next week.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hospital Stay #4 Day #2

*UPDATED* 8:14 pm - They believe that small aspirations have irritated Trey's lungs causing his oxygen support go up so high. They feel that it is necessary for him to have the Nissan surgery and the g tube surgery as soon as he is well enough to be able to be under anesthesia. They have put a temporary feeding tube in hoping to help prevent aspirations from swallowing. They are hoping to be able to do the surgery at the end of this week or beginning of next week.

*original post*
They have given Trey a dose of Lasix orally and we all thought that would work but they have had to go up to 1.5 on his oxygen and they had to give him blow by support all night. They still have no idea what it could be. They are going to try another dose of Lasix through an IV to see if that's more effective. Pray for God to give the doctors insight as to what is wrong.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hospital Visit #4 Day #1

Trey has been admitted to Vanderbilt again. They are having to continue to raise his oxygen support. Currently he is on one liter which is ten times his normal requirements. They have given him breathing treatments and steroids which aren't working. The chest x ray came back fine. They tested him for RSV but it came back negative. Not sure what the problem is yet please keep him in your prayers!

NINE pounds!

Trey is nine pounds! He had a good week. His oxygen has been playing tricks with us though. We had to take him to the ER Sunday afternoon but they released him after an okay chest x ray. He is still requiring more oxygen, so pray he stays out of the hospital.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009


Trey's doctor visit went real well. He is eight pounds and three ounces. They were able to increase his feedings to two oz every three hours and his lungs sounded real good! Please continue to pray he will not need the nissen surgery in a month. He has an appointment with the pulmonary doctor next Tuesday so pray he will stay out of the hospital until then. He is in some pain from the reflux and not resting well. The better he rests the better he grows so please pray specifically for him to be able to rest and sleep better. Thanks again!!!!